Category: A Victory!
The Trump administration will again begin allowing sales of 1911 pistols through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Saks) announced on Monday.
Interested buyers can order the surplus pistols here.
The CMP 1911 Program offers U.S. military-issued, field-tested M1911A1 pistols. Each firearm is inspected and test fired, “ensuring collectors and enthusiasts receive a quality piece of American history,” according to the CMP.
The lifetime purchase limit of 1911 surplus pistols is two.
Rogers said on Monday, “I am pleased to see that the Trump Administration has decided to release 10,000 surplus pistols and to allow the CMP to resume sales.”
Facing dire consequences if anti-gun legislation made it through the legislature and went to gun-hating Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s desk for consideration, New Mexico gun owners dodged a bullet recently when two bad measures didn’t survive the legislative process.
One such measure, SB 318, attempted to allow attacks on gun makers and gun retailers by subverting the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Specifically, it would have expanded the New Mexico Unfair Practices Act to include firearms, parts and accessories, imposing severe penalties of $30,000 per violation and holding manufacturers, distributors and online platforms jointly liable for actions by third parties.
“It allows private lawsuits without proof of harm and grants sweeping authority to the Attorney General to pursue civil penalties,” NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action said in a news alert. “This overreach increases compliance costs, threatens lawful businesses with excessive litigation and raises serious constitutional and interstate commerce concerns, all while doing little to address criminal misuse of firearms.”
Fortunately for New Mexico gun owners, the measure was never taken up by the full senate.
Another measure, SB 279, would have banned gas-operated, semi-automatic rifles, along with firearms magazines holding more than 10 rounds of ammo.
Owners of such guns wanting to keep them would have to “certify” them with the government, creating a gun registry that could easily be used when and if the government later voted to confiscate those guns. That measure was approved in the Senate Judiciary Committee but was never considered in the Senate Finance Committee.
Of course, Gov. Lujan Grisham wasn’t pleased that the two bills discussed above weren’t passed by the legislature and sent to her for her signature.
“While we made progress on universal free school lunch, literacy, water planning, and firefighting resources, I cannot ignore that we failed to adequately address the public safety crisis facing our state,” the governor said in a prepared statement. “With 270 public safety bills introduced this session and only a handful passed, we have not met our responsibility to New Mexicans.”
There’s no doubt that Gov. Lujan Grisham will continue to fight to further infringe on the Second Amendment rights of New Mexico’s lawful gun owners. As she said last year during the uproar over her Albuquerque carry ban, “No constitutional right, in my view … is intended to be absolute.”
The other title could of been – “You gonna eat that?” Grumpy